Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pre- Raphaelites


I 've always been fascinated by the Pre - Raphaelite Painters of the 1800's. This painting by Dante Gabriel Rossetti called Monna Pomona was done in 1864 and can be seen at the Tate Gallery in London. When I first saw this painting some 20 yrs. ago, I was instantly drawn to the rich colors and the beautiful jewels.



Looking back at the jewelry of the past we can see that there was great Symbolism.
A butterfly represented the soul and transformation, a crowned heart meant love triumphant, and a flaming heart meant passionate love. Gemstones also had meaning, diamonds for constancy, Rubies for passion, and Amethyst for devotion.  Unfortunately much of today's jewelry are just accessories, and the romance is gone. 

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps all we need to breathe the romance back into the gemstones is to learn more about the symbolism!
    Lovely post!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ! thanks for your sweet comment. I love the pre-raph's too...I love the colours and the fact that there is a story being told. Rossetti is one of my favourites. And yay bring back romance !! Gail x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a story behind the jewelry makes it much more interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love the paintings at the Tate?
    I could move in there and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the Tate. I used to live in London and would visit that museum frequently. It is a magical place.

      Delete